[Sca-cooks] Re: Cola was Mo+ie way 00P

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 20 12:42:18 PDT 2002

Also sprach Dan Phelps:
>Two questions, it is my understanding that the kola nut is new world,
>...correct?

I thought it wasn't.

>I understand that coca cola's "original original recipe"  other patent
>medicine ingredients.  When did they take cocaine out of coca cola or is
>this a very persistent myth.

As far as I know, they never took it out. I gather that the coca
component of Coca Cola is made from coca leaves _after_ the cocaine
has been removed, and that this was always the case, and is still the
case. Of course, plenty of stimulant sources have a number of related
chemicals (for example, there is still argument as to whether the
stuff in yerba mate is caffeine or something else), so it's possible
that, quantity notwithstanding, Coca-Cola contains chemicals as
potentially dangerous as cocaine, while not actually containing
cocaine itself.

Adamantius