[Sca-cooks] OOP: How to use a chafing dish?

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Apr 21 08:58:55 PDT 2002

>Since the
>white stuff would not burn, no matter how many matches I inserted,
>I conclude that it is merely intended to hold the (liquid?) fuel.  What
>kind does it take?  And where can I get some?

Lamp oil fuel will usualy work nicely.

>The Sterno instructions say
>never to let the can come into direct contact with the table or
>tablecloth.  Is this a serious concern, or a legal CYA?  Would it
>suffice to put the whole chafing dish unit on top of a plate or
>something?

Mostly CYA, but...  If for any reason some of the sterno gel/liquid
splashes out of the container, and it happens sometimes if the chaffing
dish is bumped, you dont' want it directly on a flamable surface.  Plate
should work, but it's a slippery surface...

>I'd very much like to be able to use this thing, but I'd like to do it
>both conveniently and safely.

Remember that chaffing dishes should be used with a pan of water under the
actual dish.  That's how you get even heat without burning spots where you
have the burner.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom