[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP - Bug butter maple ambrosia

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 09:06:14 PDT 2002

Devra wrote:

> Hey, where's the recipe for this?  And what did you use to simulate the maple mead, anyway?  Did you actually try to ferment maple syrup?
> Devra, slavering

Both really.  My husband has a net-friend in Canada who has some fermenting, like using honey for mead only using maple syrup instead [and
correcting for the different specific gravity, etc.]  He is away at a fellowship overseas for a year or two, he will report back when he gets
home, by which time it should be ready to sample.  My own version is a cordial really, maple syrup and a little orange peel in vodka.  Nobody
can stand much of it but me, so far anyway.  I like to think of it as being in touch with my inner Miles, rather than having a vile sweet
tooth. <wry g>

In another part of one of these books was mentioned a confection called "Maple Ambrosia" as served by that cook's cook, Ma Kosti.  My version
of this is a maple tofu pie.  Am still perfecting it.

Need I mention that all of the above MUST include real maple syrup, not the pale corn-syrup-based reflections perpetrated on the public by
big food corporations?

Margali writes:

>But I will say, It is different from the normal
>Miles books as he isn't near as hyper as normal.
>Must be his new wife. .must buy diplomatic immunity.

Well, just about everyone's metabolism slows down after 30, particularly after catastrophic injury and recovery.  Certainly this short,
hyper, sharp-tongued wench slowed down after marriage though.  <why do I have this urge to go book shopping?  Maybe Dangerous Visions has
it.>

Selene, Caid