[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP - Bug butter maple ambrosia

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 10:01:18 PDT 2002

on 4/22/02 9:06 AM, Susan Fox-Davis at selene at earthlink.net wrote:

> Need I mention that all of the above MUST include real maple syrup, not the
> pale corn-syrup-based reflections perpetrated on the public by
> big food corporations?

    For those of us near a Trader Joes, they sell some real Maple Syrup in
what looks almost like a wine bottle.   Which is rather curiously
appropriate in using to make Maple Mead.

    Problem is that Maple Syrup, from what I understand, doesn't have the
same sugar content as honey, which would mean you would either have to add
sugar or use more maple.  Which is rather pricy for those of us who don't
live in a production area.

    I have a very small, (three bottle) batch of a hybrid mead going right
now.   Mixture of maple syrup, honey, and some brown sugar, and a champaign
yeast to ferment it.   In a few months, I'll sample it and see what needs to
be dinked with for a full batch.  (what I need is a bigger living space to
*make* a full batch.

    - Padraig o Connell

"You know your leftovers have been in the fridge too long when they apply
for canton status."