[Sca-cooks] OOP: How to use a chafing dish?

bruyere at mind.net bruyere at mind.net
Mon Apr 22 21:29:37 PDT 2002

> restaurants -- an opening about 1-1/2" wide, and a circle of smaller
> holes with a sliding lid that can completely or partially cover them.
> Inside is something white, covered with metal mesh.  Since the
> white stuff would not burn, no matter how many matches I inserted,
> I conclude that it is merely intended to hold the (liquid?) fuel.  What
> kind does it take?  And where can I get some?

As mentioned earlier, liquid Sterno, as that's what it was designed for. Look
for it in camping supplies and party/catering supply shops. Liquid paraffin or
lamp oil might work, but I don't know for certain that the burning properties
are the same. They may or may not burn at the same tempurature and have the
same volatility. Sterno is ethanol alcohol; the others are petroleum
hydrocarbons.

> The bottom ring was the right size to admit the can of Sterno that I
> also bought at the thrift shop.  However, it did not hold the Sterno
> off the table (actually my marble slab).  The Sterno instructions say
> never to let the can come into direct contact with the table or
> tablecloth.  Is this a serious concern, or a legal CYA?  Would it
> suffice to put the whole chafing dish unit on top of a plate or
> something?

You could also make a cradle of a few strands of wire across the ring, to
support the can of Sterno off the table top. Just check that the height of the
flame is the same distance to the bottom of the chafing dish. Using an oven
proof plate or hot pad would work also. The can is going to get hot as it
burns, and you don't want it charing the table or table cloth.

Edouard