[Sca-cooks] OOP: How to use a chafing dish?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 22 08:16:58 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----

>  It is the kind I often see at Chinese
> restaurants -- an opening about 1-1/2" wide, and a circle of smaller
> holes with a sliding lid that can completely or partially cover them.
> Inside is something white, covered with metal mesh.  Since the
> white stuff would not burn, no matter how many matches I inserted,
> I conclude that it is merely intended to hold the (liquid?) fuel.  What
> kind does it take?  And where can I get some?

I have a similar antique chafing dish and use it all the time.  The white
stuff is meant to absorb and hold the fuel.  We usually use the liquid
Sterno...works really well.

> The bottom ring was the right size to admit the can of Sterno that I
> also bought at the thrift shop.  However, it did not hold the Sterno
> off the table (actually my marble slab).  The Sterno instructions say
> never to let the can come into direct contact with the table or
> tablecloth.  Is this a serious concern, or a legal CYA?  Would it
> suffice to put the whole chafing dish unit on top of a plate or
> something?

I've never done this as I have always used the liquid fuel...but probably
something fireproof would work...like your piece of marble.

> I'd very much like to be able to use this thing, but I'd like to do it
> both conveniently and safely.

Hope this helps....

Kiri