[Sca-cooks] pickled beets?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 13:10:44 PDT 2002

--- jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> Ok, I keep coming across references to pickled beets
> in German sources. I
> know that most SCA cooks believe that beet root was
> seldom eaten in
> period. Have people tried pickling beet greens? What
> do they taste like?
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

No, that is not entirely true.  Beet roots were seldom
eaten before the 16th Century.  By the 16th Century,
there are quite a few recipes in the English and
German cookbooks of that century and later that call
for red beet roots.

I have never tried pickling beet greens, but I suppose
it would be similar to Sauerkraut.  Have you found a
recipe for pickled beet greens?

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.