[Sca-cooks] It's quiet in here

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 23 18:01:42 PDT 2002

on 4/23/02 1:26 PM, Den-Ter Leather at denterleather1 at earthlink.net wrote:

> You might substitute Harp Seal for the main dish
> but stick with the real young ones they are much more tender:)

    Okay, turns out I have some seal recipes in my collection....

Seal Brain Fritters
4 Servings

      2    Seal brains
      1 tb Salt
      1 tb Vinegar
           Water to cover
      2 tb Egg powder, mixed with
      6 tb Luke warm water
    1/2 c  Flour
    1/4 c  Milk
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    1/4 ts Mixed herbs
      2 tb Melted butter
           Fat for deep frying

  Wash the seal brains in salted water. Remove loose skin and blood.

  Soak the brains in fresh cold water for 1 hour, changing the water two or
three times.

  Cover with water to which 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar has
been added and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.

  Mash the brains until soft and light.

  Mix the flour, eggs and milk together, beating well to make a soft smooth
batter.

  Add the brains, melted butter, herbs, salt and pepper to the batter, and
mix well.

  Drop tablespoons of the mixture into hot fat and deep fry until golden
brown.

  Drain the fritters well before serving. Serves 4.

Baked Seal Flippers with Vegetables
6 Servings

      2    Seal flippers
      1 ts Soda
      1 qt Cold water
      3 sl Salted pork fat
      2    Onions, chopped
      2    Carrots, cut up
      1    Turnip, cut up
      1    Parsnip, cut up
      5    Potatoes, cut up
      1 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper

-------------------------------BISCUIT DOUGH-------------------------------
      2 c  Sifted flour
      4 ts Baking powder
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/2 c  Shortening
    1/2 c  Water (approx.)

  Soak seal flippers in soda and water to cover for about 1/2 hour.

  Remove the white fat from seal meat with a sharp knife. Wash the meat and
cut it into serving portions.

  Fry the slices of salt pork in a heavy pot, then remove the "scrunchions".

  Brown the seal flippers in the hot fat fat, add one cup water, reduce heat
  and let simmer until partly tender.

  Add the chopped vegetables, except the potatoes, and one cup of water.
Boil about 30 minutes.

  Add the potatoes, salt and pepper and cook another 15 minutes, adding more
  water if needed and cook until tender.

  Place in a casserole and top with biscuit dough as follows:

  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.

  Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives.

  Add the water and blend to make a stiff dough.

  Roll out 1/2 inch thick and place on top of meat and vegetables in
casserole.

  Bake in hot oven 425 deg F. for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
  Serves 6

    (From "Northern Cookbook" edited by Eleanor A. Ellis, Information
Canada  1973)

"You know your leftovers have been in the fridge too long when they apply
for canton status."
(http://home.earthlink.net/~patgund)  ICQ# 5527565
Patrick's Ever-Growing Tagline Collection:
(http://home.earthlink.net/~patgund/tagline/)