[Sca-cooks] pickled beets?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Apr 23 20:53:30 PDT 2002

Anahita gave a recipe:
> Marinated Beets with horseradish
> Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, 1581
>
> 3. Rote Ruben eyngemacht mit klein geschnittenen Merrettich/ Aniss/
> Coriander/ und ein wenig Kuemel/ sonderlich wenn die Ruben
> geschnitten/ gesotten mit halb Wein und halb Essig.
>
> 3. Rote Ruben: Red beets preserved with small cut horseradish/ anise/
> coriander/ and a little caraway/ special if the beets are cut/
> marinated in half wine and half vinegar.
> translation by M. Grasse at
> http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASsp99_beet.htm
>
> makes about 1 gallon
> 10 large red beets, cut into medium-small chunks
>
> 1-1/2 feet of fresh horseradish root, peeled and cut into slivers
>
> NOTE: The horseradish wasn't strong enough for me. Next time i will
> food process it.

18 inches of horseradish root!, and it wasn't strong enough for you???

I've still got my root which I bought a week or two ago, so I haven't
tried it yet. But from the warnings that other people gave, it sure
seems like that would be quite enough horseradish. Are you sure you
had horseradish and not turnips or something? :-)

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net