[Sca-cooks] Andouille Sausage, and casings

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Apr 23 21:04:53 PDT 2002

Maggie MacD. asked some questions about sausages:
> ...where some say andouille originated, the sausage was made with
> >all remaining intestines and casings pulled through a larger casing,
> >seasoned and smoked. It was served thinly sliced as an hors d'oeuvre.
>
> Um. wow. I think I'll be conservative here, and go with the pork/garlic
> blend that we had discussed earlier.

This comment about andouille being the intestines pulled through itself
or another casing is what the one comment on andouille in my sausages-msg
file speaks of. I think that comment is from Adamantius, if I remember
correctly.

> My query to the list at this point regards sausage casings.  I was able to
> buy a small portion of hog casings through the backdoor of a local
> yuppy/healthfood place, they are pretty straight forward and not very hard
> to use. I also found some collagen casings in an online store, and I have
> 50' sitting in front of me in a little blister pack.  I can't find exact
> directions for these things. Do you soak them before use? Do you just use
> them dry??

I can buy the casings off the shelf in my local grocery stores.

You might find some of the comments on working with sausage casings,
including methods of twisting or tyeing them off, in this file to
be helpful:
sausage-makng-msg (28K) 10/31/00    Sausage making techniques. Supplies.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/sausage-makng-msg.html

I recently bought a cheap sausage grinder/stuffer (plastic, but hey
this will let me see if I like this before spending more) and I
will be getting a smoker from my mother (in the box, never used) in
the near future. So, maybe I will finally get around to trying some
of the period sausage recipes. Maybe.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net