[Sca-cooks] Dyed eggs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Apr 24 18:12:07 PDT 2002

> Thanks. This was interesting.
> The only question I would ask is how many of these would be safely edible?

Almost all of them. Madder and alkanet aren't considered safe for
long-term use, but if the eggs aren't cracked, there's less contact with
the egg, so I wouldn't worry. Brazilwood I couldn't find anything out
about, but it's nearest cousins, logwood and saunders, are ok.

As for the others, turmeric, saffron, onion skins, cabbage, elderberries,
saunders, cochineal, logwood and bedstraw would all be considered safe.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa