[Sca-cooks] Finding "period" Apples

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Apr 24 13:36:17 PDT 2002

>Quoted from david friedman - 4/24/02, 10:49 AM -0700:
>
>[snip]
>
>>There is a firm called "Applesource" that will mail you boxes of
>>apples of any of a very large number of varieties, including some
>>period ones. Useful if you like to taste before you plant.
>>--
>>David/Cariadoc
>>http://www.daviddfriedman.com/
>
>I found their web site (http://www.applesource.com/) but there's no
>indication of which apples are the period varieties.  Do they carry more
>varieties than they list, or are the period ones just not described as such?

For some reason I can't get to that URL at the moment. I don't think
they classify apples by when they originated, since their interest is
in varieties, not history. You can find some information on period
varieties in an article in the Miscellany, which is webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

It's the second article in the section written in persona.

--
David Friedman
Professor of Law
ddfr at best.com