[Sca-cooks] Cutting the cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Apr 24 21:28:32 PDT 2002

Arte asked:
> I just don't know history of this stuff as well as I probably should.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions on history books on cheese and on suggestions on
> which cheeses to make that would be good/popular to fit with Italy at around
> 1540.

Well, maybe I don't have to mention this, but here are the files in
the Florilegium that might be of use:
cheese-msg       (137K)  2/27/02    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html
cheese-goo-msg    (26K) 12/ 5/01    Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted cheese.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-goo-msg.html
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cheese-Making-art.html
cheesemaking-msg  (87K)  4/19/02    Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheesemaking-msg.html

I believe there are some mentions of which cheeses may be period in the
cheese-msg file.

Also, I'm finding a number of similar mentions in the book I am
currently reading, "Salt, A World History" by Mark Kurlansky,
ISBN 0-8027-1373-4

An interesting book. It also talks a bit about other subjects we've
talked about including salted fish and garum. It mentions the Romans
having four different types of garam type stuff. And mentions that
"salad" comes from salt. Apparently the Romans liked salt on their
greens. And a lot about how rock salt was mined and how salt was
extracted from the sea.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net