[Sca-cooks] Finding "period" Apples

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Apr 24 22:14:01 PDT 2002

Cariadoc said:
> There is a firm called "Applesource" that will mail you boxes of
> apples of any of a very large number of varieties, including some
> period ones. Useful if you like to taste before you plant.

Thank you. After all the discussions here, I'd been thinking about
trying some period varieties. Unfortunately, since this is not apple
country, the varieties available are limited. Also, if I were to plant
an apple tree, I only have space for one. So I'd been thinking that
I'd like to "try before I plant" but didn't know where to go.

This place sounds like it might be a good place to start. Their
web page is: http://www.applesource.com

Unfortunately, although they list a number of antique apples, they
don't give dates. And they don't have either of the ones you just
mentioned. However, I have some other listings of period apples in
the Florilegium and will do some checking there.

Also, they have some interesting sampler packs that might be worth
looking at for those like me, who have no idea how different apples
taste. However, most of these entries now say something like "shipping
season over". So, maybe next year... I did order one of their
catalogs.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net