[Sca-cooks] Caramel Laura Secord

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 25 20:53:10 PDT 2002

>Before anyone points it out, I AM aware that the original Laura Secord is
>unlikely to have had Eagle Brand Condensed milk in 1812.
>
>Aoife

You're right about that.  The process was created by John Gail Borden in
1853 and patented in 1855 or 1856.  However, condensed milk is evaporated
milk to which sugar has been added as a preservative.  Cooking down milk
with sugar is a logical step in making a milk based candy, so she may have
been actually using condensed milk.

BTW, Stefan, Borden is also one of the founders of Galveston.

Bear