[Sca-cooks] Re: A trick/period apple (LONG)

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 26 15:04:40 PDT 2002

Greetings,

Since there seems to be a bit of serious interest in this subject I went and
pulled out my book that is the source of most of my Apple Knowledge. I
currently do not have a very big yard, and Georgia is not exactly the
would's best Apple growing climate, so I will share my ideas with those here
in the hope that some of them might come to fruition.

There is a fascinating book called The Botany of Desire that examines the
concept of Humans as Bumblebees - ie: the influence that we have exerted on
the evolution of plant species. Totally out of period, but fascinating. To
illustrate his concept the author (Michael Pollen) examines the history of 4
plants that have been highly effected by their relationship with humans -
Tulips, Potatos, Cannabis and (yes I am getting to the point) Apples.

In his section on Apples he mentions a journey to a governmental research
station called the Plant Genetic Reesources Unit in Lake Geneva, New Your.
The facility is run by a man named Philip Forsline. The goal of this project
is to preserve the genetic deversity of the Apple and to preserve varieties
out of Antiquity. According to Pollen they have some 2,500 varieties planted
as what he calls a "botanical ark". Pollen is primarily interested in the
American varieties - but I have a sneaky feeling they might have examples of
the antique & ancient varities.
I found a contact page on Philip Forsline, it is linked here:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/ars/NoAtlantic/Geneva/phil_f.html

My idea was that if this gentleman was contacted, and if he could be
convinced that our historical re-creation was an additional way of
preserving the genetic diversity of Apples --- then he might be convinced to
part with some pieces of some of his trees to graft.

This is on my list of future projects, if and when I get into a housing type
situation that would allow it. But if there are those here that could do it
now - the go for it! Just send me some apples when you get some!!!

Apologies for the extensive message.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva