[Sca-cooks] RE: Caramel Laura Secord

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Apr 26 19:04:11 PDT 2002

Re: Laura Secord Confections--

I got curious so I looked up the company history.
They are now owned by a familiar name in the U.S.

"Laura Secord®In June of 1999, Archibald Candy Corporation purchased
Laura Secord®, the leading retailer of boxed chocolates in Canada. Laura
Secord® was founded in 1913 by Frank O'Connor and was named after a
heroine of the War of 1812, who had become a Canadian icon of courage,
devotion and loyalty. Laura Secord® products are distributed through 175
company-operated retail stores and selected drug and department stores."

"Archibald Candy Corporation is the largest retail confectioner in North
America with approximately 725 stores in forty states, the District of
Columbia, Puerto Rico and nine Canadian provinces. Archibald owns three
separate candy brands: Fannie May®/Fanny Farmer®, Sweet Factory® and
Laura Secord® (Canada). All three brands are headquartered in Chicago at
Archibald's manufacturing, office and warehouse complex. Throughout our
81-year history, Archibald Candy Corporation has been a family-owned
business and continues to be privately held today. From the shops to the
kitchens to the corporate offices, extreme pride and passion are ever
present
at Archibald.

See:http://www.fanniemay.com/static/company_history_form.asp

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Aoife posted: snipped
My daughter was assigned a report/project on the famous 1812 Canadian
Spy Heroine called Laura Secord. Ms Secord went on to found a high-class
confectionary under her name that exists to this day. ...
I found a recipe in french for Caramel Laura Secord, and what I got was
a caramel sauce (well, it's thickening up some in the fridge, but I have
grave doubts),