[Sca-cooks] Caramel Laura Secord

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 26 16:12:49 PDT 2002

Aoife wrote:
>Caramel Laura Secord
>Recette (recipe)
>1/2 lb beurre  (1/2 lb butter, no problem)
>2 tasses de sirop de mais (2 cups corn syrup...got it. I used clear Karo)
>4 tasses de cassonade (4 cups of, after much searching, brown sugar)
>
>Faire bouillir 5 minutes. Retirer du feu, ajouter:
>Make boiling for 5 minutes. Retire from the fire. Add:
>
>1 tasse d'eau froide en trois parties (1 cup cold water divided in 3
>parts--necessary because it spits at you if you add too much in one go. This
>seems like a lot of water).
>
>1 boite de lait Eagle Brand (one ??? of milk Eagle Brand, I'm assuming 1 can
>Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk, so it's fudge-like caramels---but what
>size/how much? 1 can seems too little)
>
>Laisser refroider et mettre dans des plattes hermetiques. Se conserve au
>refrigerateur. (Let cool and put in clean pans. Keep refrigerated).

Caramel Laura Secord

1/2 lb. butter
2 cups corn syrup (see note below)
4 cups brown sugar (see note below)

Boil 5 minutes. Remove from fire, add:
1 cup cold water in three parts (see note below)
1 can of Eagle Brand milk

Let cool and put in canning jars. Keep refrigerated.

Note: many times recipes call for common household utensils for
measurements (cuilliere de soupe is a regular tableware soup spoon,
"cuilliere de cafe" is a regular tableware tea spoon, not necessarily
a measuring spoon. A cup could be a tea cup, which only holds 6 oz.,
i think...

...i assume you pack that brown sugar...

Dunno if this is appreciably different, but it will result in less
liquid and a thicker caramel goo.

Anahita