[Sca-cooks] RE:capon-neck sausage

Weems, Lora Lora.Weems at ssa.gov
Sat Apr 27 09:05:24 PDT 2002

This is the first time I've heard of "capon-neck" sausage.

I assume this is using the neck of the capon (or chicken) as the
sausage casing. Seems like a lot more more to get though. How do
you get all those bones out from inside the neck without ripping
the skin? Maybe this is less trouble when the chicken is raw?

Intestines would seem to yield a lot more casing for less work. But
I guess you work with what you've got and there may not be much
else to do with chicken necks.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net

-
I have a French recipe for Goose-neck sausage, and I would assume that the
capon neck sausage would be done the same way. Kill or have the bird killed
by chopping as close to the head as possible.  Pluck the feathers, and then
cut the neck off of the bird at the base of the neck.  Then pull the skin
off the neck, like you would take off your socks. (don't turn it inside-out,
though)

You now have a tube of skin, which has the fat associated with the skin of
any bird but most especially with waterfowl and capons-the capon has more
fat than a rooster since it has been gelded.

You can stuff the neck skin with the forcemeat of your choice, and the usual
method to cook is frying instead of smoking.

I don't know if my recipe is period or not, but it appears to be quite old.

Leofwynn