[Sca-cooks] RE:capon-neck sausage

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sat Apr 27 15:37:09 PDT 2002

>This is the first time I've heard of "capon-neck" sausage.
>
>I assume this is using the neck of the capon (or chicken) as the
>sausage casing. Seems like a lot more more to get though. How do
>you get all those bones out from inside the neck without ripping
>the skin? Maybe this is less trouble when the chicken is raw?
<snip>

It's not all that uncommon to use the raw neck skin to make a roasted
sausage. This is commonly served with the bird. It's easy to slip the skin
off the raw neck.

Here's one recipe from Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez:

xxxiiij.  Poddyng of Capoun necke.  Take Percely, gysour, & [th]e leuer of
[th]e herte, & perboyle in fayre water; [th]an choppe hem smal, & put raw
[3]olkys of Eyroun .ij. or .iij. [th]er-to, & choppe for-with.  Take Maces
& Clowes, & put [th]er-to, & Safroun, & a lytil pouder Pepir, & Salt; &
fille hym vppe & sew hym, & lay him a-long on [th]e capon Bakke, & prycke
hym [th]er-on, and roste hym, & serue f[orth].

34.  Pudding of Capon neck.   Take Parsley, gizzard, & the liver and the
heart, & parboil in fair water; then chop them small, & put raw yolks of
Eggs two or three thereto, & chop forthwith.  Take Maces & Cloves, & put
thereto, & Saffron, & a little powdered Pepper, & Salt; & fill him up & sew
him, & lay him along on the capon's Back, & stick/skewer him thereon, and
roast him, & serve f[orth].

The Liber Cure Cocorum version is:

#129. For wesels.
Fyrst grynde porke, temper in fere
With egges and powder of peper dere,
And powder of canel [th]ou put [th]er to,
In chapon necke [th]ou close hit [th]o,
Or elles in paunche of grys hit pyt,
And rost hit wele, and [th]en dore hit
With oute, with batere of egges and floure,
To serve in sale or ellys in boure.

129. For wesels.
First grind pork, mix together
With eggs and powder of pepper dear,
And powder of cinnamon thou put thereto,
In capon's neck thou close it then,
Or else in stomach of pig it put,
And roast it well, and then endore it
Without, with batter of eggs and flour,