[Sca-cooks] Re: Caramel Laura Secord

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Apr 27 19:42:16 PDT 2002

Hi all. The results are in!

Reworked the recipe, eliminating the water completely, using granulated
brown sugar rather than moist, and we have a passable caramel fudge. Whew.
Fifth graders everywhere (well, fifth graders in my school district) can
heave a sigh of relief. There WILL be candy homework turned in to school on
Monday. Thank you for all your help.

So it goes like this:

Caramel Laura Secord

1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup clear corn syrup
2 cups brown sugar (granulated)

Bring to boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Take off of heat. Allow to cool slightly.
(At this point my daughter decided to taste-test and discovered that molten
sugar is hot. I figure she'll only need to learn this lesson once in her
life if we're lucky).

Add 1 can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk. Stir well. Pour into 8x8
square foil lined pan. Refrigerate several hours or over night (turn the
temp down on the fridge so it gets very cold but not frozen). Turn out of
pan, peel off foil. Cut into small squares. Arrange on platter and
refrigerate until it's time to serve.

So there you have it. When you're a cook, you get kids who want to turn in
food for homework. Next project: the periodic table of elements. Lord help
me.

And now I'm wondering about caramel ganache (specifically, about caramel
ganache truffles rolled in toasted almonds). Sounds do-able, right?

Aoife, in mad scientist mode.