[Sca-cooks] RE:capon-neck sausage

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 27 20:01:28 PDT 2002

Leofwynn replied to my questions about capon-neck sausage with:
> You now have a tube of skin, which has the fat associated with the skin of
> any bird but most especially with waterfowl and capons-the capon has more
> fat than a rooster since it has been gelded.

I'm still not sure how you get the skin off the chicken neck without
puncturing the skin with all the tiny, sharp bones. But then I've not
dealt with raw chicken that much.

> You can stuff the neck skin with the forcemeat of your choice, and the usual
> method to cook is frying instead of smoking.

Why the frying instead of smoking? Perhaps the higher amount of fat
around the outside of the sausage? Also, I thought smoking (at least
originally) was supposed to help preserve the meat. Again, with all
the fat and the skin itself, smoking might not work well for this.

> I don't know if my recipe is period or not, but it appears to be quite old.

Please do. While I prefer recipes that can be dated to period, even
undated recipes work until something better comes along. And even
then they can fill in some of the cooking details which the period
recipe or description might not give.

I think goose necks might be a bit difficult to obtain. I'm not
even sure how easy to get capon necks are, but chicken necks should
be readily available at the grocery.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net