[Sca-cooks] Fried Rice, was Chinese sausage

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 28 05:47:33 PDT 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>The not Adamantius-lite said:
>>  Hey, _I_ wasn't the one crowned nudus, unctus, and ebrius...
>
>huh? What does this mean? I suppose there is some kind of Roman
>story to go along with this?

Yes. At one point Marc Antony, Julius Caesar's colleague in the
consulate office, got drunk at a festival, and immediately
thereafter, essentially tried to crown Caesar king. According to
Cicero, as if that were not bad enough (the Romans having a
long-standing and, in my own opinion, well-founded abhorrence of
absolute monarchs), he did so while nudus (bare-chested), ebrius
(drunk), and unctus (anointed with oil or perfume: literally,
embalmed or smeared with unguents), all the things a Roman Consul in
the execution of his duties should _not_ be.

Our latest coronation ceremony featured a couple of interesting
parallels. I'm sure it was pure coincidence.

A.