[Sca-cooks] Language Confusion

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Apr 28 09:22:40 PDT 2002

Was written:

> "So," you may say, if you don't speak French, "what's the difference?
(shrug)"

> Well, "cuillere a soupe" is a soup spoon, while "cuillere de soupe"
> is a spoonful of soup.

You can get into even more trouble in Spanish or at least TexMex,

...huevos rancheros vs. huevos de ranchero

Regards French, as an example of language issues and subtle context
dependant meanings, it is my understanding that any English translation of
the period French classic Heptameron is by its nature flawed because of the
internal sound alike/double meanings inherent in the original French which
defy effective translation.  Sadly I've never learned to read or speak
French.

Daniel Raoul