[Sca-cooks] RE:capon-neck sausage

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 28 16:19:27 PDT 2002

Also sprach A F Murphy:
>Wouldn't your basic roasting chicken be a capon? We just don't usually
>call it that any more. And they come with the neck in the giblets, don't
>they? (Haven't roasted a chicken for a while, getting fuzzy on what is
>included.)

No, a capon is different. While a roasting chicken could,
conceivably, be male, they aren't really mature when slaughtered. At
least not in any natural sense. A capon, on the other hand, is a
castrated male (chopped when young) at semi-maturity. The poultry
equivalent of a well-marbled, prime grade steer. In fact, the flesh
of a capon _is_ marbled.

Adamantius