[Sca-cooks] RE:capon-neck sausage

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 28 15:54:20 PDT 2002

--- A F Murphy <afmmurphy at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Wouldn't your basic roasting chicken be a capon? We
> just don't usually
> call it that any more. And they come with the neck
> in the giblets, don't
> they? (Haven't roasted a chicken for a while,
> getting fuzzy on what is
> included.)

Acapon is SPECIFICLY a gelded rooster- if it ain't
called that, it ain't a capon. The reason for the
gelding is the same as for any other edible gelded
species- it gets rid of excess males, and the lack of
the testosterone causes the bird to become less
muscular, with less tough connective tissue.

As far as giblets go, nowadays when you open a
chicken, you're likely to find anything. They
certainly aren't anatomically correct- or else they're
the oddest constructed animals in the world. I've
found them with three livers, two hearts and no
gizzard or neck (must be a Heavy fighter) three necks
(a scout?), two livers, a neck, and three gizzards (a
bard?), half a dozen hearts (a Chirurgeon?) and many
other combinations.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,