[Sca-cooks] OT: Re Alaska. late comment

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Sat Apr 27 20:23:34 PDT 2002

>> All right- I have to say I sympathize with them out there, but not much.
>> WHERE ARE THEIR HATS!?! Most of your heat loss is right from the top of
>> your head! I see two hats and a veil in that picture. Geez- Talk about mad
>> dogs and Englishmen- someone out in teh snow in Alaska without a hat?
>>Geez...
>>
>> And I don't give a **** about messing your hair. That's easier to fix than
>> hypothermia.
>>
>> 'Lainie
>> -who had a leetle wool hat on for walking yesterday- it was in the 50s.

Now now, simmer down. I haven't looked at the pictures, but we don't spend
a lot of time outside in extreme temperatures without adequate head gear or
cloak hoods, etc. But we are hardy, and don't think much about holding a
tourney outside once it warms up to 0 degrees F or warmer (that's just the
tourney -- the rest of the event will be indoors -- we're not idiots, just
acclimated). After a cold spell in the -40s, believe me, +20 feels
wonderful and full of fresh air. Just because there's snow on the ground,
doesn't mean it's particularly cold. You gotta remember we have snow on the
ground for about 8-9 months of the year.

We don't understand how the rest of you can tolerate +90F. Personally, it
starts getting too hot around 75F (G).

Morgana in Winter's Gate (Fairbanks, Alaska)

Morgana yr Oerfa                   *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     morgana at gci.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson