[Sca-cooks] Marzipan, was War with AnTir

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 29 06:44:40 PDT 2002

>A local food wholesaler sells ground almonds in 1 and 2 kilo bags and 15
>kilo bags of icing sugar, so that is what I use for marzipan. I haven't had
>a commercial marzipan yet that was really worth eating, and the stuff is
>just so easy to make, why bother buying it?
>
>Kiriel

If you get the stuff, start out with a ratio of one part almond paste to
one-half part sugar and work up from there.  Add rosewater if necessary,
depending on what you are doing with it.  It takes a lot of mixing in the
bowl and then by hand to finalize the texture and mixture ratio.  Don't be
fooled because you have stopped mixing too early.  The real breakdown of the
sugar comes when the oil in the almond paste warms up enough to absorb and
incorporate it.  Am I making sense?  Or am I just saying the obvious?
Olwen who should have something to send to the Outlands by tomorrow.  Do I
have an address??  I have forgotten.