[Sca-cooks] glossary update

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Apr 29 14:21:08 PDT 2002

>There is an obsolete meaning of starve "to change the characteristic
>quality."  It usually is translated as "spoil" or "decay."  In this case it
>may be being used dialectically to mean "ruin."
>
>Bear

Thank you Bear, Johnna, & 'Lainie.

I checked the MS online, & if the "v" was supposed to be a "u", this would
have been the only instance in the MS. So I'm leery of storve = storue =
strew.

I don't think sterve =  sterue/swerue = swerve/forsake is correct. We're
trying to fix a boiled lumpy caudle, & I think adding texture & turning it
into a spoonmeat is the way to go.

I think Bear may be right with this last definition of storve = ruin.
(Remember, this is a poem, & the author does get flowery at times.) If we
imagine a nice fluffy pile of breadcrumbs, & then we pour ale on the pile,
what happens? It collapses in on itself & turns to mush.

Thanks!

Cindy