[Sca-cooks] Ices, Ice-cream, and Sherbet

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 15:20:59 PDT 2002

In a message dated 4/29/02 5:55:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, maggie5 at cox.net
writes:

> >As I think that it would make an interesting topic anyone have any in period
> >references regards ices, and in particular ice-cream and sherbet?
> >
> >Daniel Raoul
>
> Elizabeth David did a nice bit on that in her book "Harvest of the Cold
> Months".
>
> She tended to believe that people did not sit around and eat ice cream or
> sorbets, but that ice was used to cool things down (It's been quite a long
> while since I read the book, so I forget all the various details that she
> mentioned to support her view).

About this time last year, we had a long discussion of ices, and ice cream
type things. The earliest ref's used ice to chill wine (Savuer magazine had
an article about gelato, and they mentioned a Medieval Author, whose name
escapes me at the moment, but they misquoted a lot of info), or otherwise
cool drinks off. The first real mention of salt being used as a coolant was
in the 1830's, along with the first hand-crank type ice cream maker.

Finnebhir Moon Dancer
Rhiallu Ulfhednar
Vanished Woods Shire
Middle Kingdom