[Sca-cooks] Ices, Ice-cream, and Sherbet

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Mon Apr 29 14:56:05 PDT 2002

At 05:08 PM 4/29/02,Dan Phelps said something like:

>As I think that it would make an interesting topic anyone have any in period
>references regards ices, and in particular ice-cream and sherbet?
>
>Daniel Raoul

Elizabeth David did a nice bit on that in her book "Harvest of the Cold
Months".

She tended to believe that people did not sit around and eat ice cream or
sorbets, but that ice was used to cool things down (It's been quite a long
while since I read the book, so I forget all the various details that she
mentioned to support her view).

Regards,
Maggie MacD.