[Sca-cooks] Ices, Ice-cream, and Sherbet

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 30 09:21:37 PDT 2002

With regard to Milk and Milk Products-- The article
being mentioned here is the one by Laura J, Shapiro
entitled "Ice Cream in Europe and North America."
It comes from a conference given in 1992. Shapiro
does say that Marco Polo brought ice cream back,
however if you look at her Select Bibliography and
Suggested Reading lists you will notice that she doesn't
list which Marco Polo text she is using. That's because
it's not in there.  She does not use the Elizabeth David
book Harvest of the Cold Months. She includes only
David's early PPC papers on the subject which were
superceded by the far more inclusive book. The paper
as regards the early history of ice creams should be
ignored, especially the sections on Catherine and Marco.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway