[Sca-cooks] RE: capon

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Apr 29 17:38:00 PDT 2002

Leofwynn said:
------------
No, a capon is a gelded bird, and most of the roasting birds nowadays
are either hens or cross-bred young cockbirds, bred for quick weight gain.

The testicles of a chicken are inside the cavity, between the lungs
and kidneys.  To caponize a rooster you make a small incision in the
mid-part of the back and take a special tool to remove the testicles.

This is done to both make the bird bigger, fatter, and more flavorful,
like a hen, and less aggressive.  The Romans were the first to caponize
birds
on a regular basis, because it was not legal to butcher young hens.
----------------

Sounds like pretty invasive surgery. I'm surprised the capons didn't
die of infection.

---------
You can get them in specialty shops, but they are not common anymore.
---------

They sell frozen capons in the freezer case at my HEB alongside
the frozen turkeys, turkey breasts, quails and such. I hadn't
realized that they were not commonly available.

However, I don't know if these capons complete with a neck or
not. They are also more expensive than frozen chickens. But
cheaper than the frozen rabbit I saw in the case for the
first time this past week.

Stefan