[Sca-cooks] Re: Caramel Laura Secord

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 29 21:32:00 PDT 2002

Adamantius declared:
> Looking at this condensed milk question from a purely scientific
> point of view, I'm on the "open the can first" side. Think of it this
> way. You're reducing the milk be heating and evaporating, no? Where
> is the steam supposed to go if you don't open the can? Where is the
> water that you're trying to remove going to go?

But I don't think you are actually reducing the milk. A little water
may be driven off as steam. However, is the final volume that much less
than the starting volume of milk? Some, but I'd think not enough to
be considered "reduced".

I think rather than reducing the milk, what you are really doing is
caramelizing it. While not having made this, I would think a temperature
less than boiling would do the trick.

> Open the blankety-blankin'  can! ;-)

I agree. Or maybe you could cook the sealed can in a pressure cooker?
This would more equalize the pressures inside and outside of the
can. And if the can does explode, the pressure cooker should contain
all the shrapnel and hot caramel.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net