demiglaze and Bobby Flay - was, Re: [Sca-cooks] demi-glace

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 30 06:55:56 PDT 2002

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>Thanks for your information.  I thought there was something awfully fakey
>about him.  And now, I see that the whole package is fake.  But....how did
>he manage to at least hold his own on Iron Chef?  Even though we know that
>he lost the first battle...and made a major A** of himself when he did, he
>did win the second (and we figure he was "given" that one because of the
>temper tantrum he threw during the first one), he did at least seem to know
>his way around the kitchen.  In view of what you're saying, he must have had
>some heavy-duty coaching!

Well, somewhere it was revealed that he went to the French Culinary
Institute (which, despite its name, is in New York City and a good
school, too). As far as I know, when he started out as a chef he had
neither experience nor a formal education. He may have gone to school
around the same time, and certainly he has been in kitchens over the
years. It's just that he is the Jo-Ann Worley of chefs: a
professional celebrity with virtually no actual foundation in his
alleged field prior to his arrival on the scene as a "star". He'd be
perfect for the FoodTV version of "Hollywood Squares": that could be
his occupation; a professional guest on a game show (which I mention
because there may be some on this list not old enough to remember Jo
Ann Worley). Since then he has probably picked up a trick or three,
but I bet if I were hired as a brain surgeon with no training and no
experience, I also could probably perform a successful frontal
lobotomy after, say, a couple hundred botched operations.

He is quite clearly a talented man, but, like Martha Stewart, his
talent lies in making money, and not much else. Hey, it's a good
skill, I wish I had more of it, but a complete person hopes for more.

Adamantius