[Sca-cooks] Re: Finger Foods

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Apr 30 13:13:51 PDT 2002

Try these one from the Menagier de Paris at:
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

PIPEFARCES. Take egg yolks and flour and salt, and a little wine, and
beat together strongly, and cheese chopped in thin slices, and then roll
the slices of cheese in the
batter, and then fry in an iron skillet with oil in it. This can also
be made using beef marrow.

Looks like fried mozzarella sticks to me!

MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside,
closed above: and they should be peeled, then wash in hot water and
parboil; if you wish to put them in
pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered spices.
Item, put them between two dishes over the coals, and add a little
salt, cheese and powdered spices. You can find them at the end of May
and in June.

I have made these as little tartlets for a buffet, they go over well.
For about 24 or so.
Small blind baked pastry cases.
1 lb mushrooms, parboiled, cooled and chopped
1/2 lb cheese (I have used cheddar, swiss, colby and a combination of
any of them)
Mix sliced mushrooms and cheese with a little salt, pepper, ground
nutmeg, ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger (to taste) fill the pastry
cases and bake briefly.

Hullo the list!
I have been racking my brain and I must be just plain vaporlocked...
I am looking for period (citations too, please, I'd like to give
documentation on request)  finger type foods, non-messy, to serve for
"stand-up" feast I am doing in a month. I dont mind doing my own
redaction,
in fact I enjoy doing that.
I am getting pretty desparate for ideas.  Anyone?

Brandu