[Sca-cooks] Cooking over charcoal

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:02:37 PDT 2002

>In an attempt to head of interesting but not useful-to-me information:
>-- I know how to cook "period" food. What i need are hints on using
>my kanoon and on using charcoal. I don't want recipes, i want cooking
>hints for using charcoal.
>
>-- And i don't want to hear a whole bunch about period cooking pots.
>I don't own them and they're an expense i can't afford at the moment.
>If i get to Pennsic this year, i can seek out appropriate stuff, but
>not now.
>
>Thanks for any pointers.
>
>Anahita

Basically, the success of cooking on an open fire or over charcoal is
learning to bank or control the heat.  Once you learn to do that, it is
possible to do any type of frying, baking, grilling and re-heating.  The
more you try out your grill the better you will become at this.  It may be
worth it to find some type of cover for your grill as well since baking is
going to need that.  The heat is usually controlled from the airflow through
the bottom.  Being unfamiliar with this particular type of cooker, I can not
give more specific information.
Olwen