[Sca-cooks] re: cooking over charcoal

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:12:36 PDT 2002

Sounds like a cool thing you bought!  Hopefully I can answer your questions
(or at least some of them).

>ONE: It's red clay and low or medium fire ware (i think), so i would
>like to develop a way to carry it safely so i don't smash it into
>little pieces. Any suggestions?

Do you know anyone that has computer packing foam?  You know those heavy
foam squares?  If not, you can probably find a store that sells blocks of
foam.  I'd get one that is about 3 inches thicker around your piece so you
have at least 3" of outside padding.  You can take a sharp knife and cut the
inside out so you can slide the piece in.  Or you can get strips and glue
them together.  Keep the inside and stuff it inside of the piece too.  You
could probably sew a carrying pack for the foam and glue it to the foam.

>FOUR: What sorts of pots/pans are suitable for cooking over charcoal?
>Just ordinary kitchen ware? Or do i need to use something other than
>stainless steel and/or cast iron on a charcoal fire?

As far as I know, anything that can handle head like the old iron skilets or
if you have some models of cookware, they should work.  It's those cheapy
weapy pans with the handles that melt you have to worry about.

--Arte