[Sca-cooks] Differences in Scappi books

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 30 16:22:47 PDT 2002

Also sprach Mary Denise Smith:
><I don't know whether it's just an artifact of a low-resolution scan,
>but the copies I have (from a cookbook by the Met. Mus. of Art) have
>much more fine detail & cross-hatching than are showing up on these
>pictures. For ex., the wall beside the fellow with the churn is dark
>with cross-hatching in my copy, and there is a dark cross-hatched shadow
>under the table, yet there are no such lines in this picture.>
>
>Could it be that the Met scans were made from a different edition? If
>the printing plates were different, it would allow for "artistic
>license" to enter the pictures.

I'm inclined to agree. They could be similar, but different, pictures
for a different edition. I opened the churn illustration you speak of
(downloaded from the eBay site), and there are visible, cross-hatched
shadows, especially clear if you zoom in with something like Adobe
Photoshop, but they're just under the legs of the table and beneath
and behind people's feet.

I expect if you had both versions side-by-side, you'd probably find
they were different illustrations rather than different resolutions.

Adamantius