[Sca-cooks] Differences in Scappi books

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Tue Apr 30 15:29:14 PDT 2002

<I don't know whether it's just an artifact of a low-resolution scan,
but the copies I have (from a cookbook by the Met. Mus. of Art) have
much more fine detail & cross-hatching than are showing up on these
pictures. For ex., the wall beside the fellow with the churn is dark
with cross-hatching in my copy, and there is a dark cross-hatched shadow
under the table, yet there are no such lines in this picture.>

Could it be that the Met scans were made from a different edition? If
the printing plates were different, it would allow for "artistic
license" to enter the pictures.

Just a thought,

MD/Marged