[Sca-cooks] 16C rice custards

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Thu Aug 1 07:04:05 PDT 2002

I have a recipe from Markham's "The English Housewife" (first
publication 1615) called "a white-pot".  It involves rice, cream, eggs,
cinnamon, rosewater, sugar and currants.  They are baked together in a
pot in the oven.  Very tasty, both hot and cold.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any similar recipes pre-1600,
especially English 16th century... I know that a lot of recipes were
plagiarised (in modern terms, at least) from one cookbook to another,
around that time.  I've had a quick flip through some of the likely
suspects, but haven't found anything yet.  So does anyone else know of
anything similar?

(My reason: entering it in an A&S comp, and I'd prefer to either use a
pre-1600 recipe, or to be able to say "look, it's essentially the same
as these earlier ones")

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/