[Sca-cooks] marzipan pizza

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 5 16:59:53 PDT 2002

Olwen commented:

> As far as what you folks may want to talk about, might I suggest how to make
> a nice marzipan pizza?  I have begun doing weird things with marzipan to try
> and recreate the nasty greasy cheese thing.  Any suggestions?  Glycerine
> seems to work pretty well, anyone ever tried baking a marzipan/glycerine
> combo?  I'm afraid to.  But I will.  Also, anyone have any say about using
> shortbread vs. marzipan for the crust?  This is on someone's wish list of
> things for me to do.  I dispise pizza and gag ever time I think about it, so
> this should be quite a challenge for me on a more personal level.

I suspect you've just not been around a good pizza. Pizza need not
have all the cheese and grease that you are mentioning. I seem to
remember when pizzas were discussed here previously that the modern
European pizza, and probably the period ones, were not loaded with
cheese or meat.

Can you make reasonable anchovies out of marzipan? Mushrooms shouldn't

be that hard, nor sausage or pepparoni.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net