[Sca-cooks] Re Cracked Barley

RobinW5410 at aol.com RobinW5410 at aol.com
Tue Aug 6 01:59:53 PDT 2002

As a child I lived in North Africa (Libya) and my parents, archeology buffs,
took us to a granary built on what is now the fringe of the desert and we
were told that it was built in the Roman era to store millet rather than
wheat.

In the 60s and 70s some versions of the Libyan version national dish
"couscous" were made with millet, this is a sort of vegetable, grain and lamb
or goat casserole not the small pasta pilau that we see in the markets here.
It was not my favorite dish as it contained large quantities of okra.  They
also had several sweet dishes made with the semolina couscous that were
delicious.

While I can't document the historical accuracy I hope it gives you a place to
start

Robine