[Sca-cooks] Regional names for common egg dish...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 6 07:25:59 PDT 2002

Good Morning, all!

In my constant effort to improve conditions and keep the moral and
intellectual tone of this list on a high level (that is, when I'm not
talking about Twinkies), I thought I'd share one of the questions
that has become a subject for discussion on the little pseudo e-list
(you know, where you hit "Reply to All") formed by my family members.
I'd been asking them for impressions about whether the stuff we ate
as children was the traditional foods of our particular ethnicity,
inspiration on the part of my Mom born of desperation, economy, and
expedience, or what.

So, for example, on Friday nights in Lent we might be served a dish
of hard-boiled eggs in cream sauce with a little onion, and we had
this weird name for this dish, which turned out to be a nickname made
up by my German grandmother. It took me 40 years to discover that
lots of people eat this, and know it as creamed eggs (I remember this
dish being more or less universally despised when we were kids, and
now I'm thinking back and saying, "Hmmm. You know... maybe...")

However, my sister, who lives in Israel, just wrote to me and
announced that she'd just discovered that one of our childhood
breakfast staples, which we called a Hole In One, and which consists
of a slice of sandwich/toast-type bread, with a round hole cut into
it with a small glass or something, sauteed/griddled with an egg
cracked into the hole, is alive and well in Israel, under the name,
Beitzah B'Kein, which translates to "Egg in a Nest." I recall
Theodore Sturgeon, in one of his novels ("The Dreaming Jewels"???)
describing these and calling them Gas House Eggs.

For various reasons, I would suspect these are more of American
rather than European origin, at least in the form I've encountered
them in. If I had to guess I would say they were probably
Depression-era truck-stop cuisine. I expect others on this list have
encountered these. What do you call them?

Thanks!

Adamantius, whimsical this morning