[Sca-cooks] Redact?

rose at got.net rose at got.net
Tue Aug 13 19:45:43 PDT 2002

It's late, and I'm on overtime.  I'm sitting here waiting to file some papers
with the court, and some of the documents contain confidential information.  So
I redact that information.

And then I start thinking about the word, "redact."  We use it for our recipes,
but in the words of Inigo Montoya, "I don't think it means what you think it
means."  The dictionary says:

1.  To draw up or frame (a proclimation, for example).  2.  To prepare for
publication; edit or revise.

So are we really redacting when we take a period recipe and write it out in a
familiar, modern format?  It's not really editing -- the new recipe is an
original work, isn't it?  My version is almost never going to be identical to
anyone else's.  Is translate a better word?  What else is there?

Rose

-=-=-=-

food. shelter. clothing. net.         Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc