[Sca-cooks] Back from the War

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 16 15:36:54 PDT 2002

Greetings to the denizens of the Cook's List,
from Mistress Christianna MacGrain;
	Well, I'm back - earlier than I would have liked, but I got to go this year
at all, and that was iffy for a while.
	The Cook's Pot Luck was a success.  I never counted noses but I'd guess
there were 30 or 40 folks there.  Phlip had a very hard time getting folks
to come out from around the table and congregate around the fire to talk,
but it eventually did happen, and good discussion followed fabulous food.  I
will wait until more folks are back to talk about the food, but I will say I
didn't taste anything that I didn't like.  It was all wonderful.  The
section of Byzantine triptych wedding cake that showed up was simply
amazing, and I can't wait to see the promised webbed pictures that show the
whole thing (we got one side panel and some 'reject' icons of marzipan, and
those were incredible).
	I got to meet Gorgeous Murdaoch (sp?) on my way off site to the airport,
and I've got to say, he really is gorgeous!  SPCA had bunches of cooks
there, and we were right next door, so we traded tables, ingredients, and
even cooks (Fredrick and Avraham helped me cook French Toast!).  Others I
remember from the dinner were Brighid, Olwen, John, Cariadoc, Elizabeth, and
many more who's names I didn't catch or can't remember now (I'm really bad
at that).
	It's really nice to have an SCA dinner where the cooks aren't concerned
about frightening the diners with experiments in period cooking, and there
aren't any bad foods.
	I had lots of fun this war, avoiding the work weekends because of impending
back surgery really makes the whole thing really enjoyable (not that I don't
appreciate the work days, but I don't get to slack off very often!).
Christianna