[Sca-cooks] pretzels

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 19 23:44:29 PDT 2002

Gytha "The Mad Baker What Bakes at Midnight" Karlsdotter asked:

> Oooh!  What about pretzels?  Is there any truth to that story that they were
> invented by a 14th century monk?

I seriously doubt that story is true. However, I can't disprove it

with the Florilegium since the earliest pretzel and pretzel-like
recipes I have in there are from the early 15th century.
Anyway, for various pretzel recipes check this file:

pretzels-msg      (25K)  9/27/00    Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pretzels-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net