[Sca-cooks] Welcome Back

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 20 11:39:56 PDT 2002

Ah, back. Spent yesterday decompressing, today I'm doing laundry... oh,
joy.

I met so many of you! It was wonderful! Olwen, I'm sorry you were ill...
and I never got back down to your camp or to SPCA because then my
classes started in earnest. (I *only* took 14... about half the number I
was interested in... I like to do too many things. And some that I
really  wanted were canceled.)

Didn't go dancing as much as I'd planned, either, but spent a few
evenings with friends, sometimes just relaxing in the (comparatively)
cool evenings. Did catch part of Great Court, since I'd never been to
any Royal Court.

The potluck was fun, and I got to meet a few of you who weren't there,
and I took Brighid's table manners class, which is fascinating, and I
hallucinated another day for Pennsic Without a Cooler, so I missed it...
otherwise I mostly did fiber arts - costume and spinning and the like.

It was very hot, and I tanned very dark (for me) even with major
sunblock and a hat, and I know I was running about in my underwear  but
it was too hot for my gown (Well, maybe I should just say I was dressed
like a field hand. Sounds better.)  I'm already planning a better
wardrobe for next time, but this was largely borrowed, and I'm grateful
for it. (This is the first thing I've gone to where my one dress and
shift wasn't enough.) I bought spices at the Pepperers Guild, so now
have to find recipes to play with. I will try the suggestion I've seen
here to use them in a simple familiar dish, so I know what they taste like.

The walking didn't bother me, but I was lucky to be in a very centrally
located camp, and I'm pretty used to walking anyway. I also had a few
shady spots in the middle of things where I was welcome to hang out.
Most of my friends have different interests than I do, and I was often
the only person in a class who didn't know anyone else there, but for
many reasons I am fairly used to that in my life, so it didn't bother me.

On the whole, I had a wonderful time, will definitely do it again!

Anne