[Sca-cooks] Contribution to the SCA-Cooks potluck

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Aug 20 21:07:58 PDT 2002

Olwen said:

> I want to thank you and the SPCA for hosting the potluck.  It was fun to see
> faces and chat.  And all that yummy food!  Two tables filled with goodies!
> Personally, I copped out, did the cheap and easy, and just brought a wheel
> of brie, but so many folks showed up with such an assortment of delicious
> foods!  I hope you all post in on your contributions to the potluck!!

I decided to again make something at home this year which I could then take to

Pennsic, and have it last okay until the potluck. The last two years I
have been rather unsuccessful in getting something made at Pennsic.

So, I made "Heathen Peas" which can be found in these files in the Florilegium:
14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
candy-msg        (188K) 11/16/01    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.

I had also planned on making Digby's cakes and fine cakes from The
WidowesTreasury by John Partridge, 1585, but I ran out of time before I
had to leave for Pennsic.

Here is a copy of the info sheet which I printed out to place with the
dish at the pot luck. This dish seemed to go over fairly well.

Heathen Peas

 From "Daz Buch von Guter Spise" (1345 to 1354). From an original in the
University Library of Munich, Translation by Alia Atlas. Found in "A Collection
of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks", 7th Edition.

Original Recipe
Heidenische erweiz (Heathen (Saracen)Peas)

Wilt du machen behemmische erweiz. so nim mandel kern und stoz die gar cleine.
und mengez mit dritteil als vil honiges. und mit guten wurtzen wol gemenget. so
ers aller beste hat. die koste git man kalt oder warm.

How you want to make heathen peas. So take almond kernels and pound them very
small. And mix it with a third as much honey. And with good spices well mixed.
So it has the very best. One hands this out greedily, cold or warm.

I used the redaction by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.

4 cups whole almonds
1 cup honey
2-3 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cooked by THLord Stefan li Rous.