[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2325 honey butter and Anthimus

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Mon Aug 26 09:06:19 PDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:20:02 -0500 sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org
writes:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:21:29 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] honey butter/OT question
> It's not the part about the cough that's the problem, it's the word
> "spread". IIRC, the discussion of it being used medicinally talks
> about
> letting the afflicted person lick it a little. This does not to me
> sound
> like it's been spread on anything.

     First let me state I don't own the book, nor do I have Anthimus.  I
was reacting to the statement that Regina included in the post where she
discusses boiling the butter with sweet flag.  The impression I got from
that statement, which was:  "Honey-butter was a popular spread throughout
the Middle Ages.  It is
recommended boiled with sweet-flag as a cure for a cough."   is that you
have two opposed things: soft butter with room temp. honey mixed in it,
and  boiled (and I assumed, [snark!]) liquid butter with the sweet flag
in it.  Now  message 11 quotes a passage from Anthimus which is clearly
talking about soft butter and honey, mixed.  Are these not two different
citations???  Isn't sweet flag an herb?

     I was also under the impression that the statement about
honey-butter was a quote from the book.

   Elizabeth